Sunday, November 12, 2017

My Godaddy Wordpress Workaround

Sometimes I come across a situation where I want to do something, but the technology I am using is not working. And a common pattern I fall into is bouncing form site to site telling me that the solution is A or B, both solutions are failing for me, and after many hours of struggle, I find a solution that works, and has nothing to do with A or B.

I'm working on a blog with my wife, and we needed to upload a theme to WordPress, however we couldn't install a theme because of a filesize limit. As per usual, I go to Google and Stackoverflow to find a solution, but every solution is telling me to change the php.ini file, or some similar file. 

Today Google and Stackoverflow failed me, instead I found my solution through a video in Italian (I don't speak Italian btw) on Twitter.

Instead of just posting the Italian video, I will quickly show the steps.

I use Godaddy, so I have to change the PHP limits from the cPanel interface.
In cPanel select "Select PHP Version"


Instead of changing the version and settings, from here we can click to switch our view to PHP Options, in the upper right corner.


From here, at the bottom of the options we can adjust the max file size. My filesize was 2M, and I changed it to 32M to upload the theme I needed.


When we click on the number, a dropdown menu will appear to allow a quick change to whatever upload limit is needed.


And with that I was able to uploaded the file I needed. Hopefully this may be of use to someone else in the future, or maybe me if I need to do this again in 6 months and forget what I did.






No comments:

Post a Comment